Huygen Engineers & Consultants
Huygen (HIA) is with 55 employees (SME) one of the oldest (est. 1939), independent and leading SME consulting companies in the Netherlands. Its fields of expertise are: building services, building physics, sustainable building, ventilation, acoustics, energy, environment, indoor air quality, and fire regulations both in consulting in practice and in applied scientific research work. HIA’s clients are architects, building developers and contractors, energy agencies, local, national and international governments. HIA has a strong involvement with building practice as well as applied scientific research and is working on the cross section of buildings and installations. HIA has extended experience with integrated design approach integrated NZE renovation and re-use of buildings within national and international projects. HIA is member and initiator of the EAC EURL3A project on establishing knowledge alliances between Academia and the business sector.
HIA is currently coordinator of the H2020 projects MORE-CONNECT Development and advanced prefabrication of innovative, multifunctional building envelope elements for MOdular REtrofitting and smart CONNECTions (EE1-2014), PROF-TRAC PROFessional multi-disciplinary TRAining and Continuing development in skills for NZEB principles (EE4-2014, completed), MOBISTYLE MOtivating end-users Behavioral change by combined ICT based modular Information on energy use, indoor environment, health and lifestyle (EE7-2016) and TripleA-reno Attractive, Acceptable and Affordable deep Renovation by a consumers orientated and performance evidence based approach (EE11 – 2017).
Urmonderbaan 22 (Gate 2)
6167 RD Sittard-Geleen The Netherlands
Project Manager, H2020 Project Coordinator
Simona is the coordinator of the H2020 TripleA-reno and U-CERT projects. Simona holds a Ph.D. in Innovation Technology for the Built Environment from Politecnico di Torino. Working as Post-Doc affiliate at the Building Technology and Urban Systems Division of the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, in the USA, Simona developed expertise in data mining and statistical analysis of energy and behavioral data, meter-based feedback behavioral programs and familiarity with psychological aspects of consumer energy behavior. Simona currently focuses her interdisciplinary research on the effect of energy-related occupant behavior on building energy consumption and comfort, both through quantitative and qualitative methodological approaches.
Peter Op ’t Veld
He studied Building Technology at the Technical University of Eindhoven the Netherlands and graduated in physical aspects of the built environment. His present position is Senior Consultant. His key qualifications are consulting and applied scientific research on renewable energy, indoor air quality, ventilation, building physics, acoustics, dissemination of knowledge and building regulations.
He has a part time position as visiting professor at University of Hasselt, Belgium (Building services and Building physics). In international projects he participated in:
IEA ECBCS Annex 27: Demonstration and Evaluation of Domestic Ventilation Systems; IEA Annex 37: Low exergy systems for heating and cooling of buildings, IEA Annex 40: Commissioning, IEA Annex 49: Low exergy systems for high performance buildings and communities, IEA Annex 50: Prefabricated systems for low energy retrofitting, IEA Annex 51: Energy efficient communities, IEA Annex 56: Cost effective Energy and Carbon Emissions Optimization in Building Renovation, Annex 66: Definition and simulation of occupant behaviour. Peter Op ´t Veld is an experienced coordinator of several European projects:
- EC FP5 RESHYVENT: Demand controlled hybrid ventilation systems from 2002-2004
- IEE ECOLISH: Energy exploitation and performance for low incomes and social housing
- Coordinator of the minewater project Heerlen under Interreg IIIb from 2005 – 2008
- EC FP6 REMINING-lowex from 2007 – 2013.
- IEE IDES-EDU: Master and Post Graduate education and training in multidisciplinary teams implementing EPBD and beyond from 2010 – 2013
- H2020 MORE-CONNECT Development and advanced prefabrication of innovative, multifunctional building envelope elements for MOdular REtrofitting and smart CONNECTions (EE1-2014)
- H2020 PROF-TRAC PROFessional multi-disciplinary TRAining and Continuing development in skills for NZEB principles (EE4-2014)
- H2020 MOBISTYLE MOtivating end-users Behavioral change by combined ICT based modular Information on energy use, indoor environment, health and lifestyle (EE7-2016)
- H2020 TripleA-reno Attractive, Acceptable and Affordable deep Renovation by a consumers orientated and performance evidence based approach (EE11 – 2017)
- EAC EURL3A: European Real Life Learning Lab Alliance (initiator and writer of proposal and participant)
Initiator and lead participant in national research projects: EOS LT (long term energy research) Sustainable Building in 2015, (Agentschap nl), EOS LT Sustainable Physical planning/ Area development (Agentschap nl), EOS LT Individual Information Technology for Energy Efficient Households (Agentschap nl), TKI TRECO (Towards Real Energy performance and COntrol by predicting, monitoring, comparing and controlling).
Visiting professor at Hasselt University, faculty of Architecture of Arts, teaching building services and building physics.
Eric studied Applied Physics at the Technical University of Delft the Netherlands. His present position is senior consultant sustainable energy and special projects. The last decade Eric is focussing on (energy neutral) district development and integrating sustainable energy sources in the built environment. He has been a key consultant in various projects e.g. Minewater Heerlen, Waalsprong Nijmegen, Rijnenburg Utrecht and Stadsoevers Roosendaal. Furthermore he is participant in an international research collaboration IEA Annex 51, sustainable districts and cities.
From 2001 Eric is working as senior consultant and has been responsible for projects with high ambitions on energy savings and sustainable energy generation. His main expertise is integrated design on building physics and technical installations in (near) energy neutral projects. He has been involved as project leader in several major projects on district development as well as on real energy use and occupant behavior:
- Low temperature district heating Waalsprong Nijmegen, 10.000 dwellings
- Minewater Heerlen and Minewater 2.0 Heerlen. Development of the minewater grid and connection of CBS-office, Heerlerheide Centrum and new buildings of the Open University and regional Education centre Arcus.
- Low temperature smart heat grid Stadsoevers Roosendaal, 1.000 dwellings; private developments and housing corporations
- Energy neutral district Rijnenburg, municipality Utrecht
- Near Energy neutral development of Veenderij in Veenendaal, 1.000 dwellings; Development Company with municipality Veenendaal.
- Energy neutral district development Waterstad Goes 2.500 dwellings; housing corporation RWS
- TRECO-home and TRECO-office: Towards Real Energy Consumption by controlling, monitoring and predicting for homes and offices
- Technical coordinator in H2020 projects MOBISTYLE and P2Endure
Coordinator of Dutch TKI Top Sector Projects TRECO-home and TRECO-office, OLEC.
Marketing & Communications specialist
Carola is a marketing & communications specialist with a focus on identity, content marketing and social media. She studied Arts & Culture at Maastricht University. During her bachelor, she specialized in ‘Media & culture’. She finished the bachelor in 2008 and proceeded with the master Arts & Social Sciences, also at Maastricht University. After that, she started to work as a content engineer team leader, focusing on customer journey’s, content management and automated customer service. Later on, she took the role of delivery manager, advising and working more strategically on customer journey’s, roadmaps and innovation in customer service.
In 2017 she started, together with a partner, a company that helps businesses with their marketing strategy, with a focus on identity. From there, she developed a bigger focus on marketing & identity, also moving from delivery management to a marketing position. In her current position for Huygen she’s as a marketing & communications specialist. Thus, she mainly works on:
- Marketing strategy / Developing marketing plans;
- Content marketing (including storytelling);
- Email marketing;
- Social media strategy;
- Website maintenance/ advice;
- Setting up promotional campaigns;
- Reporting (using Google Analytics, social media analytics etc).
She works on the marketing/communication strategy for Huygen as is also involved in multiple research projects. Carola is responsible for H2020 MOBISTYLE WP7 Communication and Dissemination as for communication and dissemination activities from Huygen side in the projects: H2020 MORE-CONNECT, P2Endure, BIMplement and TripleA-reno. For national Urban Energy TKI projects, she is responsible for the dissemination of projects DYNKA (Dynamisch licht en binnenklimaat voor kantoren), Bewoners aan de knoppen (Gasloos renoveren met bewoners aan de knoppen), RIRA (Ruimte voor Initiatieven in duurzame warmte en koude door Retrofitten: Gebied Amstel III).
Ruben is content marketeer for Huygen. He has a bachelor in Marketing Management (Commercial Economics) at the Hogeschool van Arnhem en Nijmegen, with a minor in politics. He gained experience as junior marketing employee and developed and later delved more into graphic design. In 2021 he started as content marketeer for Huygen.
Ruben mainly works on:
- Support for the marketing en communications strategy of Huygen.
- Visual elaboration of ideas and concepts; digital, brochures, flyers, banners, infographics, illustrations
- Coordination with tenders: drafting and rewriting texts, taking care of the layout.
- Devise and set up a corporate identity for various projects.
- Writing articles about projects and innovations.
- Maintain website and social media.
Furthermore, Ruben works on H2020 projects NRG2peers, Save the Homes and Drive 0.
- Implementing communication plan, monitoring measurable results
- Devising and executing creative campaigns.
- Writing articles for website and social media.
- Graphic design of tools, visualizing concepts.
- Other graphic design of flyers, roll-up banners.
- Conducting interviews.
- Maintanance of the websites.
- Video editing.